How many of us spend time out of our day or week writing a list of goals that we want to accomplish? Okay, now how many of us get a little discouraged when we look at that same list and did not accomplish all that we set forth to do? I definitely raised my hand to both of those questions.
Goal setting is a great way for us to take control of the direction that we want our lives to go, it helps us gain perspective and gives us a sense of accomplishment. But, at the same time it can get frustrating when we are setting goals and not achieving them.
So, here are a few tips on ways that we can set purpose filled goals that are not only reachable but will live us filling motivated to keep going.
1. Write them down-I’m a huge proponent of writing my goals down, it allows me to see what I have set forth for myself and I can cross it out when I have accomplished it. I don’t know about you but there is something about crossing off a goal that makes me feel good.
2. Set realistic goals- I know that we want to be the most successful we can be but that takes time. Let’s be realistic in setting goals. If you want to be the CEO of a company or open up your own bookstore start setting small realistic goals that will get you there. Don’t start off with a goal to purchase company plane or buy a five story building when you haven’t written a concise business plan. Goal set your way to your dream by being realistic on the steps you need to take to get there.
3. Remember quality over quantity- Anyone who knows me, knows that I say this all the time. Set goals that focus on quality over quantity. If you are able to achieve a goal that gets you closer to your dream goal or that build your skills in an area that you are focusing on it will get you much further than having a long list goals that you are not touching. A way to set quality-purpose filled goals is to examine the “why” behind the goal you are setting, examine your motivation and see if it aligns with the direction you want your life to go, if it doesn’t let the goal go.
4. Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals-Setting smart goals is a common practice and basically it means to set goals that are
· Specific-Be detailed and clear in setting a goal.
· Measurable-Set goals that are measurable, use dates or numbers that help you to know that you achieved what you set forth
· Attainable-As mentioned previously, set goals that are realistic and attainable. You want to boost your confidence not deflate it
· Relevant-Make sure that your goals are relevant to what you are trying to accomplish, let’s stay on track. If you find yourself setting goals that are leading you in a different direction, examine your motivation.
· Timely- Setting goals that are timely and have a deadline. The point of goal setting is to get you to accomplish what you set forth, if you don’t set a deadline you may never strike it out.
Using S.M.A.R.T. method will help you gain perspective in the how, what and when of accomplishing your goals. If you ever get frustrated just remember to think S.M.A.R.T!
5. Tell people-Lastly, in setting goals it’s always great to tell people. Whether you have accountability partner or you write in a blog. Telling people keeps you responsible for achieving that goal, it also gives you cheerleaders and encouragers along the way.
Always remember setting goals are meant to inspire you and build you up, even when you feel discouraged it’s all part of the process to walking in your destiny, you will get to where you want to in life just keep pressing on.
So, care to share any goals that have set for yourself?