I’m sure we have all heard numerous times the importance of branding in business. Whether you are a small business, nonprofit or a large company, having effective branding is crucial for your success. But, one thing that is often overlooked is the importance of personal branding in relation to the success of your entrepreneurial goals.
Personal branding is what allows you to share your vision, while building influence and hopefully gaining clients. It’s the basically the walking manifestation of your business brand strategy and without effective personal branding your entrepreneurial efforts will suffer.
So, here are five basic tips that you can put into action today to help you build your personal brand so that you can turn your purpose into your profit.
1. Define Your Brand-Think about who you are, where do you want to go and who is it that you are destined to be. You want to make sure that your personal brand connects you to your purpose, the audience, subject, or change that you are going to impact and that it set’s you apart from the market.
2. Write it down-Write down your definition. As you may know I’m a huge component of writing things down, you want to write down the personal brand that you want to establish and walk in. Think about the experience that you want to leave people with when you walk in and out of the room and truly take the time and self-reflect to see if you are currently aligning with that brand.
3. Don’t be afraid to ask-Ask others (especially in your purpose circle) to describe you in three words. Just the words only and see what they say. If it aligns with the brand that you want to convey than that’s great, if not rethink your strategy and then ask that person to go into further detail about why they choosethose words to describe you. Outside point of views can be extremely useful as you develop your personal brand strategy
4. Get socially clean-Take inventory of your current social media platforms. What are you posting, portraying and aligning yourself with socially. Does it completely align with your brand? If not, start cleaning it up. Delete the things, pictures and postings that are opposite of what you want your brand to be and reposition yourself. If that means that you have to start over, start over.
5. Reputation is key- I recently listened to Periscope by Cheryl Empowers (http://www.cherylempowers.com/) and she said that “It is no longer about who you know or what you know, but it is about who know you.” this really stuck with me because we have to be cognizant of what we are putting out there. How are you responding to people, who are you associating yourself with, what are people saying about you?
You have to remember that “YOU ARE YOUR BRAND” and when you are taking the step to walk in your purpose you are also walking in your brand. Make sure that the choices that you are making align with the purpose you are walking.
As always, remember to #Bedestined, #Beinspired and live #TheKismetLife